Getting a Class 2 licence
You must first get a Class 2 learner licence. To do this, you must:
- hold a full Class 1 licence for at least six months
- present a medical certificate
- Class 2 Learners- Requires a Medical certificate from your doctor and a Theory test to be completed at your local AA before the next step can be taken.
- The theory test is made up of 35 random questions that can be studied on the link below.
Class 2 is the medium rigid vehicle licence. A holder of a Class 2 learner or full licence can drive:
- any rigid vehicle with a Gross Laden Weight of more than 6000kg but not more than 18,000kg
- a combination vehicle (that is not a tractor/trailer combination) with a Gross Combined Weight of 12,000kg or less
- a combination vehicle consisting of a rigid vehicle (that is not a tractor) with a Gross Laden Weight of not more than 18,000kg towing a light trailer
- a rigid vehicle with a Gross Laden Weight of more than 18,000kg that has no more than two axles
- a tractor with a Gross Laden Weight of more than 6000kg but not more than 18,000kg if driven at speed exceeding 30km/h
The holder of a full Class 2 can also drive:
- a special type vehicle that is an agricultural motor vehicle that runs on wheels with a GLW of more than 6000kg but not more than 18,000kg, if driven at a speed not exceeding 40km/h (with or without a W endorsement).
Units Covered on course are
- 17574-Operate a rigid vehicle to meet the requirements for a full Class 2 driver licence
- 24089-Demonstrate knowledge of fatigue management, work time, and driver logbook requirements